A Virtual Care Option
NHC is pleased to continue offering telehealth virtual appointments to patients. These online appointments with your provider can be done using a phone, tablet, or computer and can make it easier to seek medical care and help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Telehealth describes any healthcare service that uses technology for visits with your provider or care team that are not in person.
You can schedule your telehealth appointment as you would any other appointment. You must, however, confirm your appointment is appropriate for telehealth and scheduled it as such.
Telehealth visits usually cost the same as in-person visits, but your insurance coverage may vary. Please confirm your telehealth benefits with your insurance. At this time the Oregon Health Plan does cover telehealth. If you have qualified for our Sliding Fee Discount Program, you will only pay your set nominal or flat fee. As with our in-person visits, no one will be refused service due to inability to pay.
You must be physically within the state of Oregon at the time of your visit. If you are outside the state at the time of your visit, your appointment will be rescheduled.
You cannot be driving a vehicle during your appointment. If you are driving, we will ask you to pull over and may reschedule the appointment if you cannot.
We may need consent for others present at your virtual appointment. If you have others in your room or passengers in your car, we will need your consent that they may remain during your appointment
More information can be found in 20 Things to Know About Telehealth.
- We recommend using your smart phone for appointments for higher video quality. If not using a smart phone, your device (tablet, laptop, or desktop) must have a forward-facing camera, speaker, and microphone.
- You will need to create a free MyChart account, if you do not already have one as an NHC patient.
- You must download the Zoom app. No account needed.
- You need a quiet and private location with good lighting for the appointment.
- You need reliable internet access or a connection through your phone data plan.
How to Use Telehealth
Before your appointment day:
- We recommend using your smartphone or mobile device such as a tablet for the visit.
- From your mobile device or tablet, go to your app store. Search for the MyChart app and download to your device. Make sure to choose OCHIN as the organization.
- Verify you can login to MyChart without difficulty.
- Next, search for the Zoom Cloud Meetings app and download to your device.
- Please allow this app to access your camera and microphone when prompted. It is not necessary to create a Zoom username and login for your video visits.
On the day of your appointment:
- Login to your MyChart account via the web or app on your mobile device 15 minutes before the start of your appointment. If you're on the web, select Visits then Appointments and Visits. If you're on the app, select Appointments.
- You will select preCheck-in. You must complete preCheck-in before you can start your video visit. You will be asked to confirm or update your personal information, medications, pharmacy, allergies, health issues, and will be asked to sign a consent form.
- Once you submit the information, there will be a Begin Video Visit button. The Zoom browser will launch with a message stating, "Please wait for the host to start this meeting." The video will begin once provider launches Zoom on their end.
- If during your virtual visit you get disconnected or the call gets dropped, you may reconnect for up to an hour by returning to your appointment in MyChart and clicking the green Begin Visit button.
Tips for a Successful Visit
When you schedule your appontment:
- Schedule your appointment as a telehealth visit.
- If needed, ask the clinic to help you get set up for your first telehealth appointment.
1-3 days before your appointment:
- Ask your provider's office to do a test connection before your visit.
- Be sure to ask for translation services, if needed.
- Complete and return any requested forms.
- Ensure you have all instructions needed to start or join your visit.
The day of your appointment:
- Fully charge your device and plug it in, if helpful. If you have a back up device, have it available.
- Make a list of any questions you have for your provider.
- Have your medications bottles nearby so you can answer questions about your prescriptions.
- Close extra browsing windows, mute audible alerts and notifications, close your door, and let others in your house or office know not to disturb you.
- Find the zoom link and be sure to join early.
During Your Appointment
- If someone enters your space during your appointment, tell your provider. You provider may require they leave or request your permission for them to stay.
- Do not multitask during your telehealth visit. Treat it just like an in-person visit.
- If you are in your car, do not drive. If you are driving and cannot pullover safely, your appointment will be rescheduled.
View or download our Telehealth Checklist
Make an Appointment
If you are a current NHC patient, you can use MyChart to send your provider a message. You can also call your clinic or (503) 848-5861.